The Sundarbans is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it is a mesmerizing destination located in the delta region of India and Bangladesh. This unique ecosystem, teeming with diverse wildlife and lush mangrove forests, offers an unforgettable experience for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers. To make the most of your Sundarbans tour best time, it’s crucial to choose the Sundarbans tour best time to visit, plan your itinerary wisely and be aware of the associated costs. In this article, we’ll guide you through all these aspects ensuring you have an incredible Sundarbans adventure.
Best Time To Visit Sundarbans Tour Best Time
Best Time To Visit Sundarbans In Winter (October to March):
The best time to embark on a Sundarbans tour best time is during the winter months, from October to March. During this period, the weather is pleasant, and the temperature hovers around 14-25°C, making it ideal for exploring the mangroves, wildlife, and riverbanks. The skies are clear, and you’ll have the chance to witness a variety of migratory birds and spot elusive tigers.
Best Time To Visit Sundarbans In Monsoon (June to September):
While visiting during the monsoon can be challenging due to heavy rains and flooding, it offers a unique experience for those seeking an adventurous thrill. The Sundarbans come alive during the monsoon, with lush greenery and vibrant flora. However, keep in mind that boat trips may be limited, and some areas might be inaccessible.
How To Reach Sundarbans Full Guide
Reaching Sundarbans from Kolkata:
Start your journey by reaching Kolkata, the capital city of West Bengal, India. From Kolkata, you can take a train or hire a taxi to reach the Sundarbans. The most common starting point is Godkhali, which is approximately a 3-4 hour drive from Kolkata.
Reaching Sundarbans from Dhaka (Bangladesh):
If you’re starting your journey from Dhaka, Bangladesh, you can take a bus or a domestic flight to Jessore, which is the nearest major city to the Sundarbans. From Jessore, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Khulna, another major city close to the Sundarbans.
- By Air: The nearest airport to the Sundarbans is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata, India, and Jessore Airport in Bangladesh. From these airports, you can follow the road transportation options mentioned above to reach the Sundarbans.
- By Train: If you prefer train travel, you can take a train from Kolkata to Canning, a town located near Godkhali, which serves as a gateway to the Sundarbans. After reaching Canning, you can hire a taxi to Godkhali and continue your journey by boat.
- By Bus: There are regular bus services from Kolkata to various towns near the Sundarbans, including Namkhana and Sonakhali. Once you reach these towns you can hire local transport or take a boat to enter the Sundarbans.
- By Waterways: The most iconic way to reach the Sundarbans is by taking a boat from either Kolkata or Khulna. There are numerous private and government-operated boats available for tourists. These boat journeys offer a unique and scenic experience as you navigate through the intricate waterways of the Sundarbans.
- Permits and Permissions: Regardless of your chosen transportation mode, it’s crucial to obtain the necessary permits and permissions to enter the Sundarbans. These can be acquired from the respective forest departments in India and Bangladesh.
- Guided Tours: For a hassle-free experience consider booking a guided tour to the Sundarbans. Many tour operators offer comprehensive packages that include transportation, permits, accommodation and guided wildlife safaris.
Special Season Sundarbans Tour Best Time
Another exceptional time to plan your Sundarbans tour best time is during the mangrove flowering season from April to May in which typically occurs in April and May. During this period, the mangrove trees burst into bloom, creating a surreal and picturesque landscape. Witnessing this natural phenomenon is a photographer’s dream come true.
How To Spend Your Day At Sundarbans Tour Best Time
Early Morning Safari
Start your day with an early morning boat safari. The calmness of the morning waters allows you to spot wildlife at its most active. Keep your eyes peeled for the majestic Royal Bengal Tiger, crocodiles, deer, and various bird species.
Exploration and Bird Watching
As the day progresses, explore the intricate network of rivers and canals within the Sundarbans. Birdwatching enthusiasts will be thrilled by the diverse avian species found here, including herons, egrets, and kingfishers.
Take some time to visit the local villages and interact with the friendly inhabitants. You’ll gain insight into their traditional way of life, which is closely intertwined with the Sundarbans’ ecosystem.
Conclude your day with a serene sundown cruise. As the sun sets over the mangroves, you’ll be treated to breathtaking views and the sounds of nature coming to life for the night.
Cost Per Day In INR Sundarbans Tour Best Time
Budget Travelers (₹2,500 – ₹3,500)
For budget-conscious travelers, a day in the Sundarbans can cost between ₹2,500 and ₹3,500. This includes basic accommodation, meals, and a shared boat tour.
Mid-Range Travelers (₹4,000 – ₹6,000)
If you prefer a bit more comfort, you can expect to spend around ₹4,000 to ₹6,000 per day. This will cover better accommodation options and guided boat tours.
Luxury Travelers (₹8,000 and above)
Luxury travelers can indulge in the Sundarbans’ beauty by spending ₹8,000 and above per day. This includes top-notch accommodations, private boat charters, and gourmet meals.
Sundarbans tour best time offer an unparalleled natural experience that varies depending on the time of year you choose to visit. While the winter months provide the most comfortable climate, the monsoon and mangrove flowering season bring unique charms. Plan your day wisely by starting with a morning safari, exploring the region, engaging with locals, and enjoying a relaxing sundown cruise. Remember that the cost of your Sundarbans tour can vary based on your preferences, with options available for budget, midrange, and luxury travelers.
Sundarbans Tour Best Time common FAQs
The best time to visit the Sundarbans is during the winter months, from October to March. The weather is pleasant, and wildlife sightings are more frequent during this period.
It is possible to visit the Sundarbans during the monsoon season (June to September). However, it can be challenging due to heavy rains and flooding, so be prepared for limited boat trips and some inaccessible areas.
The mangrove flowering season in the Sundarbans typically occurs in April and May. It’s a unique time to visit when the mangrove trees bloom creating a stunning and picturesque landscape.
The Sundarbans are home to a diverse range of wildlife, including the Royal Bengal Tiger, crocodiles, deer, various bird species, and reptiles. Tigers are the star attraction, but sightings can be rare.
Start your day with an early morning safari for the best wildlife sightings. Explore the rivers and canals, visit local villages and enjoy a serene sundown cruise to make the most of your day.
Accommodation options in the Sundarbans vary from basic lodges to mid-range resorts and luxury eco-lodges. The choice depends on your budget and preferences.