Tourist places in Kollam for one day trip in a mesmerizing coastal city located in the southern part of Kerala, India. Known for its serene backwaters, historic significance and cultural richness, Kollam is a perfect destination for a one-day trip. In this article, we will explore the top 10 tourist places in Kollam for a one-day trip, providing you with information about each place’s history, location, the best time to visit, and give you general idea about traveling cost per day. So, if you’re planning a tourist place in Kollam for one day trip, read on to discover the gems of this charming city.
Thangassery Lighthouse Tourist Places In Kollam
Thangassery Lighthouse, standing tall since 1902, is an iconic structure that offers panoramic views of the Arabian Sea. This historic lighthouse was constructed during the British colonial period and played a crucial role in guiding ships safely along the Malabar Coast.
- Location: Thangassery, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit the Thangassery Lighthouse is during the winter months, from November to February when the weather is pleasant.
- Travel Cost per Day: The entrance fee to the lighthouse is minimal, making it an affordable stop on your tourist places in Kollam for one day trip.
Ashtamudi Lake Tourist Places In Kollam
Ashtamudi Lake, often referred to as the gateway to the backwaters of Kerala, is a picturesque water body that boasts of lush green surroundings and serene waters. It is one of the most beautiful and tranquil spots in Kollam.
- Location: Ashtamudi Lake, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: To fully enjoy the beauty of Ashtamudi Lake, visit during the post-monsoon season, from September to March.
- Travel Cost per Day: A ride on a traditional Kerala houseboat is the perfect way to explore this stunning lake, and prices can vary. Budget travelers can opt for smaller boat rides, while luxury houseboats may be pricier.
Kollam Beach Tourist Places In Kollam
Kollam Beach is a charming stretch of coastline known for its pristine shores and serene ambiance. It’s an ideal place to unwind, take long walks, and witness beautiful sunsets.
- Location: Kollam Beach, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Kollam Beach is from October to March when the weather is pleasant and suitable for beach activities.
- Travel Cost per Day: Entry to Kollam Beach is usually free, making it a cost-effective addition to your tourist places in Kollam for one day trip.
Munroe Island Tourist Places In Kollam
Munroe Island is a hidden gem in Kollam, named after Colonel John Munroe, a British resident who developed this island for trade and commerce. It’s renowned for its picturesque canals, coconut groves, and lush green landscapes.
- Location: Munroe Island, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: Visit Munroe Island during the winter months, from November to February, to enjoy the pleasant weather and explore its natural beauty.
- Travel Cost per Day: A boat ride through the backwaters of Munroe Island is a must, and the cost can vary depending on the duration and type of boat ride you choose.
Tangasseri Fort Tourist Places In Kollam
Tangasseri Fort, another historical marvel, was built by the Portuguese in the 16th century. It has witnessed several battles and has a rich history waiting to be explored.
- Location: Tangasseri, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The fort can be visited throughout the year, but the cooler months from October to March are ideal.
- Travel Cost per Day: Entry to Tangasseri Fort is typically free, making it an economical stop on your tourist places in Kollam for one day trip.
Jatayu Earth’s Center Tourist Places In Kollam
Jatayu Earth’s Center is a unique tourist attraction that combines nature, mythology and adventure. It features a colossal sculpture of the mythical bird, Jatayu and offers exciting adventure activities like rock climbing and trekking.
- Location: Jatayu Earth’s Center, Chadayamangalam, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The Jatayu Earth’s Center can be visited year round, but it’s recommended to go during the winter months for a comfortable experience.
- Travel Cost per Day: The cost of entry and adventure activities at Jatayu Earth’s Center may vary, so it’s advisable to check the official website for the latest prices.
Palaruvi Waterfalls Tourist Places In Kollam
Palaruvi Waterfalls, one of the most stunning waterfalls in Kerala, is nestled amidst a dense forest. The name Palaruvi translates to milky stream, aptly describing the cascading waters.
- Location: Palaruvi Waterfalls, Aryankavu, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The monsoon season, from June to September, is when Palaruvi Waterfalls is at its majestic best. However, it’s essential to check local conditions before planning your visit during this time.
- Travel Cost per Day: The cost of entry to Palaruvi Waterfalls is nominal, making it an affordable stop on your tourist places in Kollam for one day trip.
Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary Tourist Places In Kollam
Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary, also known as Shenduruney Wildlife Sanctuary, is a haven for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers. It’s home to diverse flora and fauna, making it an excellent destination for a rendezvous with nature.
- Location: Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The sanctuary is open year-round, but the winter and early spring months, from November to March, offer the best weather for exploring the wilderness.
- Travel Cost per Day: The entry fee to the sanctuary is minimal and guided tours may have additional charges.
Mayyanad Tourist Places In Kollam
Mayyanad is a quaint village in Kollam known for its temples, serene landscapes, and the Mayyanad Devi Temple, dedicated to Goddess Bhadrakali. It’s a place where spirituality and natural beauty come together.
- Location: Mayyanad, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: Visit Mayyanad during the festival season, especially during the Navaratri festival, to experience the vibrant and cultural side of this village.
- Travel Cost per Day: Exploring Mayyanad is cost-effective, with most attractions having minimal or no entrance fees.
Kottarakkara Tourist Places In Kollam
Kottarakkara is a town in Kollam known for its cultural heritage, especially Kathakali, a traditional dance-drama form. It is also famous for its ancient temples and historic significance.
- Location: Kottarakkara, Kollam, Kerala.
- Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Kottarakkara is during the Malayalam month of Medam, which falls between April and May, when the famous Kottarakkara Kathakali festival takes place.
- Travel Cost per Day: Exploring Kottarakkara is budget-friendly, with options to witness Kathakali performances at reasonable prices.
Kollam with its historical sites, serene backwaters and natural beauty offers a wide array of attractions for a one-day trip. Whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, or seeking adventure, Kollam has something to offer everyone. The best time to embark on your tourist places in Kollam for one day trip is during the winter months, when the weather is pleasant and conducive to outdoor exploration. Additionally, Kollam is budget-friendly, with most attractions having nominal entrance fees, making it an excellent destination for travelers of all budgets.
Tourist Places In Kollam For One Day Trip FAQs
The top 10 tourist places in Kollam for a one-day trip are Thangassery Lighthouse, Ashtamudi Lake, Kollam Beach, Munroe Island, Tangasseri Fort, Jatayu Earth’s Center, Palaruvi Waterfalls, Shenduruny Wildlife Sanctuary, Mayyanad, and Kottarakkara.
The best time to visit Kollam for a one-day trip is during the winter months, from November to February, when the weather is pleasant and ideal for outdoor activities.
Kollam is well-connected by road, rail, and air. You can reach Kollam by train, bus, or even hire a taxi or use rideshare services from nearby cities like Trivandrum or Kochi.
The traveling cost for a one-day trip to Kollam can vary depending on your mode of transportation, choice of activities, and dining preferences. On average, budget-conscious travelers can expect to spend around INR 1,500 to INR 2,500 per person for a day trip, including transportation and meals.
Since Kollam is suitable for a day trip, most visitors do not stay overnight. However, if you plan to extend your visit, there are various budget-friendly hotels and guesthouses available in the city.
You can explore historic sites like Thangassery Lighthouse and Tangasseri Fort, relax by the beach, take a backwater cruise on Ashtamudi Lake, witness the natural beauty of Palaruvi Waterfalls, and enjoy cultural experiences such as Kathakali performances in Kottarakkara.